Advice for Parents/ Carers from South Gloucestershire Council
Symptoms of Coronavirus and arranging a test
As we enter the winter months, there are going to be times when your child may have a cold and you are unsure what to do. In this situation, we must adhere to the NHS guidelines which state:
If you (or your child) has any of the main symptoms of coronavirus (COVID-19), get a test as soon as possible. Stay at home until you get the result.
The main symptoms of coronavirus are:
- a high temperature (Above 37.5) – this means you feel hot to touch on your chest or back (you do not need to measure your temperature)
- a new, continuous cough – this means coughing a lot for more than an hour, or 3 or more coughing episodes in 24 hours (if they usually have a cough, it may be worse than usual)
- a loss or change to their sense of smell or taste – this means they’ve noticed they cannot smell or taste anything, or things smell or taste different to normal
Most people with coronavirus have at least 1 of these symptoms.
What to do if you or your child has symptoms
If you have any of the main symptoms of coronavirus:
- Get a test to check if you have coronavirus as soon as possible.
- Stay at home and do not have visitors until you get your test result – only leave your home to have a test.
Anyone you live with, and anyone in your support bubble, must also stay at home until you get your result.
If your child has symptoms of a cold, such as a runny nose, but none of the symptoms above then they are able to attend school.
Guidance on Booking a Coronavirus Test
Select the test type you would like from those available and select continue.
There is a test centre at Bristol Airport. We recommend using this method if you have access to a car (you must not hire a taxi to get the test done).
Once you have made your selection you will be take through a number of screens providing information and asking for information on the person to be tested.
If you need to order a Home Testing Kit, you can watch a video on how to take a swab at home
If you are unable to access the internet, you may be able to book a test or enquire about test results by calling 119 from a mobile phone or landline. This service can also be accessed by those with hearing or speech difficulties by calling 18001 0300 303 2713
We are happy to help and can book the tests on your behalf during a telephone conversation with you. Please contact school to do this.
You will be sent your result by text or email.
You must inform school if your child has symptoms and you are booking a test. You must share the result with us when it is received. We have a duty to update Public Health England on the number of suspected and confirmed cases in school.