At Team Bowsland we focus on building confidence through our enquiry skills so that by the end of your child’s time at primary school they are able to confidently conduct a scientific experiment. Through a range of topics children are encouraged to develop a sense of curiosity and excitement towards science.
Please click the links below to see our enquiry progression.
Each year group follows the National Curriculum to develop an understanding of the world through biology, physics and chemistry. Below are the programmes of study for each key stage, however please see your child’s termly topic web/ for more information about their current science unit.
In Reception, children are encouraged to learn about the world around them through play and exploration. There activities are linked to their term’s topic and are both adult and child led.
Key Stage One Programme of Study:
- Plants (including classification) and growing
- Animals, including humans
- Habitats, including food chains
- Simple physical properties of everyday materials
- Uses of everyday materials
- Seasonal changes and day and night
Lower Key Stage Two Programme of Study:
- The function of different parts of plants and their survival
- Animals, including humans: what animals need to survive, movement and the skeleton
- Classification of living things: plants, animals and conservation
- Human digestion
- Simple physical properties of some kinds of rocks and how rocks, soils and fossils are formed
- States of matter and changes of state, with particular reference to water
- Forces and magnets
- Sources of sound
- Light and shadows
- The use of electricity and how to wire a simple circuit
Upper Key Stage Two Programme of Study:
- Life cycles, including reproduction, growth and old age
- All living things: life processes, including classification
- The human circulatory system and blood
- Inheritance and evolution happening over long periods of time
- Properties and changes of materials
- Forces such as gravity and friction: air resistance and transfer of force through mechanical devices
- Earth and space
- The basic parts of a simple electric circuit
Please check your child’s class page to see their current learning.